Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Minding My Media Diet

We need to be careful to select a balanced selection of news from a variety of sources...

click on image to embiggen

I've been lazy about the news portion of my podcast feed and ended up with mostly NPR programming.  NPR news is highly rated as neutral and reliable, but bias runs from evident to annoying through their analysis programming.






FiveThirtyEight The notorious Nate Silver and the gang are great fun to listen to, but once the Inauguration is complete their work is about done until the 2024 campaigns begin...


Brian Lehrer: A Daily Politics Podcast Brian is about as out left as I care to go.  As soon his greatest fear - that Trump will steal the election - is put to rest I'll be retiring him.

I have decided to deliberately select some well-regarded conservative sources for listening. I'm looking for traditional conservatives who regard the aberrant Donald Trump presidency with something between disdainful tedium and Never Trump loathing.


The Editors, A National Review podcast is about as sensible as I hoped it might be.


The McCarthy Report, A National Review podcast is perhaps a little too indulgent of Trump campaign's legal hijinks, but the analysis is sharp.


The Reason Roundtable is populated by libertarians and would be anarchists. More amusing than thought-provoking so far. 

Many (too many) people I know seem to have selected news sources that make them the most comfortable in whatever bubble they have chosen to reside in.  If we're not at least a little uncomfortable with some things we hear we are probably playing it too safe by avoiding cognitive dissonance at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment