Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Drive to a Funeral

Some day we mourn what is left behind...


My Aunt Sylvia Petra Solberg - 62 years the wife of my mother's eldest brother - died last week. Many of my best childhood memories have her and Uncle Harlan and their sons in them. I flew home Thanksgiving Day so that we could travel north to attend her funeral Saturday. On the 425 mile (680 km) drive from Minneapolis to Greenbush, Minnesota, we took a slight detour to see the farms in Norway Township, Traill County, North Dakota, where no Solberg lives anymore. It was a bleak day, on the way to a sad event. I was comforted by the company of my mother Kay, father Larry, and brother Steve. Sylvia's life was long and rich, her end was quick and perhaps merciful. Her lovely funeral and the fellowship that followed softened winter's gray chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment